The following salad is especially nice during the summer tomato months. Early summer it can be made with some of the smaller, earlier maturing types of tomatoes, even cherry
or grape tomatoes
if you prefer. Mid summer we like to use the classic beefsteak
variety when they are in their full glory. At end of summer we like to use some of the more slow maturing heirloom
types, such as Brandywine
, Purple Cherokee
, or Striped German.
As with any recipe you should always use whichever types you like best, just don’t be afraid to experiment, and remember when it comes to tomatoes, always try to buy local, seasonally, and to ensure maximum flavor – never refrigerate them. The bottom line is to make sure you buy quality ingredients especially the tomatoes because since it is a simple salad, the ingredients need to shine.
One big ol’ local summer time tomato (or the equivalent amount of smaller ones)
1tsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp extra virgin olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
Pinch fresh minced garlic
Pinch chopped parsley
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch fresh ground black pepper
Pinch dried oregano
1tsp toasted pine nuts
1tsp crumbled Gorgonzola
Small handful local baby field greens
1. Slice tomato into 5-7 large slices
2. Combine all but last three ingredients, and toss to coat, let rest at room temp 10 min
3. Place tomato slices in an overlapped line on a long plate, reserving marinating liquid
4. In small bowl combine field greens, most of the pine nuts, and Gorgonzola, and dress with some of the reserved marinating liquid
5. Place dressed salad on center of plated tomato slices
6. Garnish with reserved pine nuts and Gorgonzola, and drizzle with little marinating liquid
You can download a PDF version of this Delicious Summer Tomato Salad recipe.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to receive future articles delivered to your feed reader.